Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Started by Mai Valentine, April 18, 2020, 01:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mai Valentine

Who else is playing this right now? I know I can't be the only one!  :))

I'm really pleased with how good this game is. The updated combat is so much fun.

I haven't quite beat it yet but I'm pretty close.

BLUEVOODU

you know... I really want to pick this up @Mai Valentine   I tell you... I missed it the 1st time around... I played it a bit when I had the shop and would watch friends play it as well.  However, I never really did own it.    With the remake, I'm looking to buy this at some point.

So you think this game is worth it?  How about time to play... does it take a lot of time investment?

I figure @Grindspine @targetrasp and maybe @Jack would be very interested in this.  Maybe @retro junkie as well.

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU the newest present generation system that I own is an XBOX one. It has so much dust on it I could plant a garden. If they would release this for the xbox1 it could revive some interest in modern gaming.(that looks like it might be a long wait) What could easily kill it  ??? is waiting two days for updates to download. The game does look very interesting. @Mai Valentine is the battle system sort-of turn based? What did they do with that part of the game? I know changes were made.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

I preordered the deluxe edition. FF7, FF3 and Chrono Trigger are in a constant battle for GOAT RPGS in my humble opinion so it was a must buy. While I fully believe its a money grab, I am excited they're taking the time to flesh out more of the FF7 story and making the complete experience in multiple parts - Even at $80 / section I highly doubt i'll regret the experience.

I have yet to start it though. I'm waiting until I can take a few days and enjoy it. My off days are a mixed bag of dealing with kids that have had their fill of each other and home improvement projects.

I'll get around to it when I can spend enough time on it to enjoy it.

Mai Valentine

I'll be honest, it's been about 17 years, maybe 16 on the generous side, since I played FFVII, and I only played it once, so I honestly remember almost nothing about it!  ??? :)) So I am not the one to ask about comparisons, anyway.

But!

Based on what I do remember, I absolutely love it!

The battle system is great! It's a lot of fun, and you can easily switch between characters. Also, you can switch back to classic turn-based, but I like the default system. It does kind of a bullet time thing when you're in the menu so it's not like you're trying to do things while the enemies are just whaling on you. If you've played FFXIII you'll be familiar with the Stagger system. If you do enough damage to enemies, they are staggered and take extra damage. Some enemies are weak to specific spells, some are weak to physical attacks, etc. I think that part is pretty standard. The combat still uses the ATB system, and you build it up faster with the character you're controlling. Tifa is a lot of fun to control, so I use her the most, but Cloud and Aerith and Barrett are fun in their own way as well. The hardest part about the combat is honestly deciding which materia to give to who. Early on, you don't have a lot of materia slots. But you can upgrade the weapons to add more as you get further in the game. The level up system for the weapons is also a bit like the Crystarium from FFXIII. There's rings of options and you get Action Points that you can use. Each weapon levels up at its own rate so you'll probably end up checking the weapon upgrade option often just to see if you accumulated enough AP to add another bonus to the weapon.

If you buy a physical copy of the game, it has a download disc that you put in first to make the process go faster. Once the download disc is done, you put the game disc in. I think it may have taken about an hour, maybe an hour and a half to do the whole process for me.

I thought I wouldn't be able to get used to the voice cast (they aren't the same voice actors as Advent Children or FFVII character appearances in Kingdom Hearts and World of Final Fantasy) but they are all pretty good.

Overall I'm very impressed with it and I'm kind of putting off finishing it because I know I'll just want the second part to come out already!  :)) But I might also try to platinum it; haven't fully decided yet. One of the trophies is for beating it in Hard mode, and you can't use items in hard mode, so I'm debating whether I want to take on that challenge.

BLUEVOODU

@Mai Valentine   Thank you for that.... I Think I'm going to buy this at some point.   I'm playing a TON of Call of Duty right now... so extra time for other games is not there.  I don't know how people do it these days and spreading as much time over games as they do. It used to be easier... pretty straight forward... and you could be done with it or come back and reply.  Now with all the achievements and side missions... significant time is spent on most games.   The season in Call of Duty made this worse lol... they took a page out of Fort Nite's book.

if you platinum it... make sure to post it up in the A Winner is You Board

Grindspine

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on April 19, 2020, 03:12:14 PM
you know... I really want to pick this up @Mai Valentine   I tell you... I missed it the 1st time around... I played it a bit when I had the shop and would watch friends play it as well.  However, I never really did own it.    With the remake, I'm looking to buy this at some point.

So you think this game is worth it?  How about time to play... does it take a lot of time investment?

I figure @Grindspine @targetrasp and maybe @Jack would be very interested in this.  Maybe @retro junkie as well.

I would like to get it, but was saving for my wedding & reception, which Renee and I have had to postpone due to COVID.

Thus, I do not have a PS4 yet.  If it is released on PC I will get it.  But I am still firmly in the PS2/PS3/PSP generation of consoles.  Speaking of which, I really need to play through Final Fantasy XIII-2!

BLUEVOODU

@Grindspine if you go PS5 eventually... It appears PlayStation 4 games are backwards compatible on the PlayStation 5.   So.. maybe FF7 remake would be in the bags then  ;D  I Want to get it... just need time and money right now.

That does suck about the wedding... stupid virus. 

XFaKToRX

Just got it but sadly have not had time to play it yet.

BLUEVOODU

LOL @XFaKToRX join @targetrasp and I with the eternal backlog  ;D  I do want to pick this up... but I'm not sure when I'll ever get to it.  Call of Duty: Modern Warfare really has my attention right now.   These seasons are time killers...

targetrasp

lol - no joke. i've not unwrapped half the switch games i've bought yet..

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp @XFaKToRX @Mai Valentine have you made any (or anymore) progress on this title yet?   ;D

targetrasp

played for 45 minutes... I don't know what I was expecting and I knew going into it that it wasn't turn based but I've not been able to force myself to go back to it