Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Windows Mixed Reality Headset Issues

Started by targetrasp, April 19, 2020, 11:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

targetrasp

Not wanting to fully invest in a VIVE or Occulus VR set I chose the HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset. I got in a few Christmases ago with a gaming computer at a pretty good rate. Now well outside the manufacturers warranty I've discovered a design flaw, the stupid cable to connects the computer to the headset. theres an unintended pivot point where the cable goes into the headset that eventually cause the cord to fray. It's pretty well complained about in forums and reddit but HP refuses to sell the replacement and it's being scalped for well over 200 bucks. One end is display port, the other hdmi and usb 3.0. I've yet to find any replacement from any 3rd party.

940814-001 is the hp part number. If the replacement is going to be that high i'll just sell the headset for parts and put that towards the vive but first I wondered if anyone here knew if there was a way to terminate display port and hdmi, essentially repairing the cable, or if anyone knew of a place I could ship the cable to for repairs. HP obviously is done with it so i'm having to go third party.

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp I took a look into this.  I have nothing... unforunately.  I know this isn't helpful lol.... but if you find anything... post up the resolution.  My guess is HP won't sell it and they're just done.

targetrasp

Yeah same..

Maybe just maybe Covid-19 will reinvigorate the 3d headset craze and someone (either HP or some aftermarket company) starts putting out a replacement.

I can also see HP abandoning the design. I've sent it in for warranty repair early on (not for the cord) and I can see that issue happening again as well. Being tethered by a cord on something that encourages rapid movement creates tons of wear points that surprisingly have little in the way of strain relief. i'll prolly retire it and wait for a sale on the rift or vive.

BLUEVOODU

So even if you call in... you cannot purchase the cord?    At one point... I was able to get the Famicom Disk Drive belts from Nintendo of Japan.   They stopped selling them to me after a few times.  I was honest up front and told them I was selling them... and repairing Disk Drive units as well.

I've been noticing companies are doing this less.  They certainly stopped it with me after a few orders.

targetrasp

One message board online said they were selling them for some ungodly amount but when I called in they were discontinued. I think they're holding some back for warranty work and then shelving the whole thing. I've not seen these in stores for a while now. I guess the windows mixed reality thing just didn't make it.

There's some great pictures of the set on this link. You can see the goofy cable - hdmi on one side that splits into dport and usb 3 on the other. That's the cable I have that's broken. The dport connector split at the seam in the metal. I tried to use a probe and bend it back in place but it didn't work.

The other problem with these headsets lies in how the hdmi end of said cable plugs into the headset. There's a profile pic of the headset that shows a pig tail coming off of it. That square box on the end is hdmi port where that cable plug in. I actually had to send my headset to hp to have that fixed. wearing the headset and moving around puts tons of strain on that port. After time the hdmi plug wiggled around in the port so much the connection became lose. HP tried to tell me it was the cable but after sending tons of pictures they exchanged everything.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Mixed-Reality-Headset-Controllers/dp/B075XZ5F1G/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=hp+mixed+reality+headset&qid=1588597983&s=electronics&sr=1-1