Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Covid-19 Coronavirus - What do you think about everything re-opening?

Started by BLUEVOODU, May 03, 2020, 10:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

What do you think about everything re-opening?    Do you think it's too soon.. not soon enough... and the affects?

I Will say this... there is a line between unemployment and many adverse health effects and deaths that occur when people are out of work.   If people do not get back to work, the issue will compound.  However, if we go back too soon... we risk major re-infections.  Doctors and researchers still aren't sold on immunity once you get it.   My understanding is re-infections have occurred.

Post it up!

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU Looking back in retrospect, I do not think we should have ever shut down. We are all adults, and I know that there are many who will not follow anything you put out there. We know what must be done, mask, gloves, distance. Really, there is a large part of our society that never shut down, grocery stores, hardware stores, dog groomers, many factories, etc. The factory where I work has had a partial layoff, but still we are open. I think the shut down has done irreparable damage. And I am not just talking about our economy. But also how we handle any pandemic from now on will be with authoritarianism. That is not good. I do not consider my loss of freedom and liberty a fair trade for my safety. The struggle right now is not necessarily "if, or when" we open, but the Government's relinquishing their new found power. And the virus is very real for those who have it. I know of one situation that the individual are in 34 days and still recovering. But there are no experts on this thing. And now the feeling is this thing is going to be with us for 2 years at the very least?
In light of the fact that we are taking precautions with the mask, gloves, etc, it is still spreading. I think what we do right now, whether it be, open up, or not, will not change the spread of this virus. It is here and that is not going to change. I am 65 years old with medical issues that is a target for this virus that means death. My Wife is 70 and with the same issues. I have had to continue to work and stand in lines through all this. I really at this point don't know how I should feel about this. I have ordered washable masks with a pocket for filters. I will be wearing them for a very long time.
I do also feel that people working and dealing with this is a lot better than being in a soup line and still dealing with this.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

I'd love to get behind retro's line of thinking but I have a more pessimistic view of our general population. A significant portion of our population is stupid and / or apathetic. We have to have laws concerning speeding, seat belts, drunk driving, drugs... How can we expect the general population to care for the safety of themselves as well as other? Whole families are out shopping with their kids. I could understand the case of a single parent with 0 support having to take their young kid to the store but I see entire families, mom, dad and the brood.

Now that the weather is nice, people have some unemployment money, people have some stimulus money - the places that are open stay packed. Home Depot and Lowes here stay full open to close, Walmart and every grocery store as well. The truncated hours many of these places are observing are not helping either. By shortening hours we're not spreading the crowd out over a longer period of time. Bringing every employee back as well as keeping shorter hours compounds this further.

I'm by no means a fan of big government making tons of laws and restrictions but I also think the public as a whole won't be cautious enough on their own. We wont have a vaccine available before we completely tank our economy so not opening is a bad play. I think we'd have to come up with a system of testing and treating / isolating / tracing then opening to make things come back as safe as possible. I do realize there's a lot of room for government involvement in that situation that could impede some civil liberties BUT if we do it to help and ensure help does occur without ostracizing the sick it would require far less government than the martial law scenario if this thing hits a large majority of the population.

Mai Valentine

My thoughts are summed up in this pic:

https://scontent.fatl1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/96118012_579529239608044_8910874249372106752_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=O_eGwSMucXoAX_82G9J&_nc_ht=scontent.fatl1-2.fna&oh=62115ad52d03b99e82f5931961753ff5&oe=5EDEFBB5

I think the stay-at-home orders are doing a decent job of keeping it from spreading as much as it could, but if we are to keep it up, it would be nice if there were ways to help those who can't work from home or aren't essential workers and need to have some kind of income. I'm really in support of universal income. They've been doing it for a few years in Finland, and the results show that it doesn't make people less motivated to work, so that's not a good reason why not to have it.

BLUEVOODU

@Mai Valentine  It would be a good idea to help those that do not have critical jobs to have help... that's for certain. 

I'm not digging the re-opening of restaurants... and other businesses ... though I know they're hurting and need business. People are starting to be dumb and not wear masks at stores... taking their family to the store more...etc.  It's just not a smart idea.  Virus doesn't care who or what you are... and I'm hoping this will go away so we can get back to a more normal.  I'm wondering what this fall and winter will bring...

targetrasp

I was shocked today when i drove through downtown and saw tons of people out and almost no masks. Kilwins had a line down the street and everyone was on top of each other.

BLUEVOODU

yeah... fast forward a few weeks... we are still about 30-50% masks... but I'm surprised there aren't more.   The virus numbers just aren't dwindling and there has been a slight up-tick (if the reporting is even good because of so many faulty and bad tests) in cases now.

It would be very cool if this virus would go away.  I'm all for working from home right now... It's been super productive.  The only problem is it's harder to quit now and I find myself working more hours...

CreepinDeth

I'm with Targetrasp. The pandemic has shown how this country really is, and that's selfish. Many countries were able to handle covid much better than us. Rather than the country coming together to fight the disease as best as possible, it gets politically weaponized.

Our Federal government failed us and we shouldn't have been in this position in the first place. What the states had to do was a reaction to that failure. We should've been celebrating alongside New Zealand right about now on not having any covid cases. And yes, I do understand they're an island and that definitely helps, but as the strongest nation in the world we should've been just as good at fighting this virus.

Now with that said, I'm not venturing out anytime soon. I'll always wear a mask in public and try to limit human contact as much as possible. I have my wife anyways and that's all I really need in terms of human contact.

I understand opening up and wanting life to go back to normal but I really feel it's still early. It's Summer and I think late July would've been a better time to do it. Let the people who want to risk themselves for a holiday get it over with and then we could've all probably moved on.

retro junkie

I have been working at my job through the whole pandemic shutdown. We have government contracts and they simply put it, we don't care what your governor says we want our stuff. My group, we kept working. Our company at one point did reduce the workforce. Right now they are trying to recover and bring everyone back, but I personally don't think they will be successful in doing that. I think there are going to be changes.
I have mixed feelings about the whole COVID-19 not being as intensely wide spread as they had supposed. It is bad if you come into contact with it and fatal to certain people my age especially combined with medical issues. I am not sure if our correct response was to shut everything down for as long as we did or to consider the herd immunity thing. I am watching to see if we suddenly have a bad spike as people become more relaxed during the summer months. People will forget and become more comfortable, and careless. Not knowing anything about the new virus, I don't consider anyone being an expert. I do weigh every bit of information.
I continue being cautious myself by wearing a mask and gloves when I need to be out, and while I work. Not sure how effective those items are. If you stop to think through everything about how you can become contaminated, it becomes overwhelming. And being out, I limit myself to work and purchasing necessities. My wife and daughter have not ventured out from the home during this whole thing.  I get stripped down and washed at the door. Anything I bring into the house, like groceries, become quarantined and dwelt with in that manner. We are not paranoid, just taking precautions.
I have no idea at what point we will ever eat out again, or get takeout for that matter. It may be next year if there are no bad repercussions from everyone enjoying their summer fun. I have been making my own pizza from scratch.
there is no spoon

CreepinDeth

Remember when some people said this will go away by June?!

HA AHAHAHAHHAHAHAhahahahah.....hah  :-\

How friggin' sad is our country when we can't come together to stop the virus from spreading. Simply by wearing masks and limiting how often we go out.

Had our nation done a hard shutdown from the beginning we would've been out of this mess. But it keeps spreading because there are people out there that only care about themselves. Hope the lives that were needlessly lost were worth it.  :(

Also, just had to take my second Covid test today because a coworker's son tested positive and she sat near me. So I'm at home waiting for my results. Oh and she didn't wear a mask at all. I did though even before she tested positive and I rarely took it off. So hopefully I'm okay. It's a bunch of BS though that this is still going on.

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth how are you doing?  A week has passed... did your test turn out ok?  That really sucks.

I agree... I wish we could all come together to stop the spread - and just care for each other  It sucks not being able to just go do stuff.  No one likes wearing masks and having to do special procedures.  We do though to protect others in addition to our health.  It's all pretty crazy.. Especially not being able just go out and do stuff. 

CreepinDeth

@BLUEVOODU ~ Thanks BV for asking. Got my test back last night and it came out negative. I'm doing okay. Just really pissed off and disappointed at the same time.

It's seriously time for the US to put on its big boy pants and start coming together to fight this thing. It's not going to go away on its own unless everyone gets infected and I seriously feel that is what the idiots in Washington want. And even that's no guarantee it will.

Mai Valentine

There are too many people in the US that think it's a hoax or that being asked to wear a mask is a violation of freedom. At my store, we require all customers to wear masks, but many just take them off once they get inside.  :-\

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth you are right... people need to start coming together.  We are all going to have to live with this for awhile it appears. 

@Mai Valentine that really should be something that is basic.    Protect each other... that's it.   If someone doesn't like wearing masks and protecting themselves... AT LEAST do it to protect those that are at higher risk. 

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more