Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Intellivision Amico

Started by targetrasp, May 03, 2020, 10:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

targetrasp

I found out about this system last night. Late march preorders went out for a VIP Founder's edition in three different colors, white, black and woodgrain. It looks like preorders are closed at the intellivision website but gamestop has the white and the black version and an exclusive galaxy purple version for 249 (299 for the purple).

The president, Tommy Talarico, has been in the video game industry since the 90s. Originally a game music composer he's also been a tv personality, creative director, sound designer... He's talking about the group he's put together like they're the Traveling Wilburys.

I want it, but it's 249 - 299... for what looks a console to play cell phone games. I never had an intellivision so there's no real nostalgia there for me. I'm a sucker for mini consoles and exclusives, but 299 and purple... I would have jumped on the woodgrain set up had I seen it, but purple..... and with meh games so far. There's been an Earthworm Jim tease but it could turn out to not be a platformer.

Its hard to deny the collectability but the cost, the games, and the not so great exclusive that's available now just isn't selling me. I've subscribed to the mailing list in hopes they'll reopen preorders for the founders edition OR a new cooler looking exclusive console.

https://www.intellivisionamico.com/

BLUEVOODU

I never really got into the Intellivision.  I remember a lot of gamers that were trying to score them again in the mid 2000s... just before money started shrinking for a lot of people.     This looks interesting.. but $249-299??    That's pretty expensive.  The games look ok... but They may be a decade too late on this one.  Maybe not though.  I Could be wrong on that.

targetrasp

if their main schtick is to recreate the wii it'll be a complete failure. If motion control is a small part of the bigger picture, I can see it being fun. the controller does looks like a mash up of the dreamcast vmu, will remote, and intellivision's original.

targetrasp

I preordered the purple one from Game Stop after watching this youtube video

I can't say it's going to be good buy Tommy Tallerico is so passionate and able to answer almost every concern i could have. The family friendly stuff is a limiting factor for sure, but i think this could go well and at least is collectible.

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp following up on this...what happened with it?  Did you end up buying?

targetrasp

i preordered the purple one. Will likely regret it, may not even take it out of the box so that when i regret it there's still a chance it'll be worth something..

BLUEVOODU

I thought this was already supposed to come out?   When iy comes out..  Please post a review  ;D it's just an off thing.  It has me curious

targetrasp

last i heard was october... Corona may have it coming out along side Halo ... Heck the VCS may beat it to market!

BLUEVOODU

LOL... if you find any more information... post it up if you can.  This is definitely an odd device.  I wonder how much demand there is.