Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Polymega

Started by targetrasp, May 06, 2020, 11:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

targetrasp

Holy Crap!

www.polymega.com

I really need to do some fundraising this summer... Lots of new crap i want coming up...

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp I thought I already replied to this.... Holy crap is right.  This is a very cool concept.  I wonder how much life this system will have and how long the support will last. I cannot imagine they support it longer than 5 years... so what happens at the end of that time?   All systems are susceptible to failure.   I wonder how backup up your stuff would be.  Or if there will be backlog metrics lol.   We might have competition for the backlog tracker!  ;D

What do you think @retro junkie @CreepinDeth @XFaKToRX @MegaDrive20XX ?

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU I don't know. This is mainly for those who have the carts and disc, hard copy. The support would depend on how quick they can deliver on all of the promises, every gaming system on their list. (Biting off more than they can chew?) Compatibility would be the big issue, how faithful to the real thing. The issue could easily kill it. The casual gamer is not going to invest heavy into a console. The clone system is enough for them. The concept is unique and heavily depends on that homestation's durability. That would be a lot of investing if you got into a lot of those systems. It is totally a niche system that is assuming that I am looking for something like this for my gaming collection.  The big question, is there a market out there for something like this? Is retro gaming that big? I know it is with me, but...............

I didn't mean to be skeptical and analyze this console. This is just the way it hit me when looking at their site. The price point is the achilles heel for wide acceptance, and for me. I know a few retro gamers around me, but it is difficult to know just how big the love of old stuff really is. I have a local game store that carries a lot of the carts & discs, at least I am hoping they have survived the virus. But I am not sure of  how fast the games move off the shelf. When forums, in our present culture, are no longer a place of sharing the love, it is difficult to find people that are into the retro stuff. And it causes a question as to how hot retro gaming is in our present generation. Let's face it, forums are no longer a connection point for gamers. That is why we do not have a flood of members, sorry.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

sounds like retro has the corona blues!

Seriously though I'm there too. The price point is rough to start with and accounting for the modules you're getting into gaming computer territory... I will say, after sprawling out all my retro mini consoles it would be nice to have something that'd play everything and not take up so many hdmi and power plug spaces... 

CreepinDeth

The idea is great but I'm sure it's going to get expensive if you want even just 3 or 4 of those modules. You're already $400 in the hole without any cartridge support.

I know I sound like a broken record again, but I'll just emulate on my PC and buy some nice controllers for each specific console.

targetrasp

I put together a retro pie a few raspberries ago just to play around and it was pretty cool. It was a bit touchy at times and i was more annoyed than i thought i'd be that it didn't have an on/off switch or a shutdown command. I've heard the new version is pretty awesome, especially with the modding community localizing stuff, making translation patches, etc.

I still bump up against the legality of it all... It'd be awesome just to google a title, download an iso or a rom or a bin, pop it onto a usb and play, instead there's all this copyright law, and debate whether or not I'm allowed to circumvent protection to back up items i own. It's been a while since I've kept paid attention to the emulation scene, so it may be different now.

CreepinDeth

Quote from: targetrasp on June 02, 2020, 09:54:41 PM
I still bump up against the legality of it all... It'd be awesome just to google a title, download an iso or a rom or a bin, pop it onto a usb and play, instead there's all this copyright law, and debate whether or not I'm allowed to circumvent protection to back up items i own. It's been a while since I've kept paid attention to the emulation scene, so it may be different now.

I get it and unfortunately it's never going to be black and white one way or the other. The way copyright is handled has always been a mess from all countries invovled, so it's cool if that's how you feel.

For me, if a game is out of circulation and I own it, then I have no problem getting the game. Collector's who want lots of money for an actual copy is all well and good but the developers don't see that money anyways and it all goes to the seller. I don't emulate current gen or last gen games since those are still readily available brand new.

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth - I used to be 100% against it.  I don't do it myself.  They seem to do it a bit better these days by many of the Virtual stores and abilities of these features across many platforms.  If a game is offered on a platform... and it's only a few dollars, it's not a big deal to buy it.  You're not going to have a million titles that are never played more than once, but you'll have titles you actually want to play.

However, prices (in many cases) are WAY higher than they used to be.  Some prices have come down, but look at the Neo Geo.   I get Metal Slug is offered on tons of platforms and is a bad example. But if it wasn't, I cannot blame someone for getting the rom and just playing it versus spending $2000+ on the title that's very hard to obtain. It simply doesn't make sense.

CreepinDeth

That's why I like the way Microsoft is handling Backwards compatibility these days. It's not perfect by any means, but the fact that a good amount of Xbox & Xbox 360 games work on my Xbox One means I don't have to fetch an emulator or try to find outdated equipment that can't fit in my living room. Not to mention that there's a very good chance they'll run even better than on original hardware.

I recently bought the Splinter Cell games for about $3 each digitally and I don't have to bust out my original Xbox. More companies need to do this.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more