Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Valve Index VR

Started by BLUEVOODU, March 28, 2020, 05:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

Has anyone bought into tho yet?   The Valve Index VR Kit drops in at around $1000 for the full setup and includes Half-Life:  Alyx. This game looks pretty good... see our post here:
Half-Life:  Alyx Topic

@FJ1X and I were discussing the kit the other day.  It seems like a legit setup. The price is pretty crazy... but it may be worth it?  Maybe this will be a good launching point for VR? 

@CreepinDeth @targetrasp @Polygon @Strubes @trkorecky @HylianSeven  - any of you looking to buy into the Index?

Link on Steam:
Valve Index VR Kit on Store.steampowered.com

Thoughts,  comments?   Post it up!

trkorecky

I don't have the Index, though it definitely looks like a great kit. I'm still rocking the OG Vive, which has handled Alyx pretty well. Hardest part is reloading the shotgun -- the wands bump into each other when trying to pull back the lever.

BLUEVOODU

How is the OG Vive?  Does it work pretty well?   System wise ... is the design pretty much the same?

I have yet to get into VR. Not sure I'll sink the money into it or not.  Priorities right now lol... it's definitely interesting and a cool concept.  I've dug it since the Virtual Boy years. 

trkorecky

The OG Vive is great. A bit of a screen door effect from the lower pixel density, but mostly unnoticeable in most scenarios. It hurts the most in things like Elite: Dangerous when you're trying to pick up all the small details in your cockpit like the HUD and such. I do wish it had a slightly larger field of view.

I might sell my Vive kit to my parents and upgrade to the Index since I got my mom hooked on Beat Saber and a few other games. Between Beat Saber and Boxing VR you can get a pretty great workout in a short time, and they just generally enjoy some of the other experiences that transport you somewhere else like The Blu.

As for a good launching point for VR, and as much as I hate anything related to Facebook (especially their recent terrible decision to require a Facebook login for anything Oculus), I think the Quest and "rumored" upcoming Quest 2 are likely the best way to get people involved. Stand-alone (no PC required), light, inexpensive, and capable for someone to just pop on and have a great experience out of the box. No setup with camera or tracking boxes, just a headset with hand / finger tracking and a built-in store. Can also plug it into a computer with a USB-C cable for the higher quality desktop experience.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more