Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

My XBOX ONE updating....aaauuughhhh!!!

Started by retro junkie, July 05, 2020, 01:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

I haven't turned my XBOX ONE on in over a year, maybe two. Can't remember. Sorry but it be like that with me. I should have known. It needs to make an update before I can play a game. The update is almost 4g. This is one of the reasons I hate modern consoles. Retro gaming is so easy, push in a game and flip the switch.

This so rubs my fur the wrong way, if it isn't a system update then it is the game. And I am not sure at this point whether the game I want to put in has some sort of update or install period I will have to endure. Just purchased Pacman Championship Edition 2. Surely not, please.

If there is anything the next generation needs to resolve it is the loading of the game. There needs to be some changes in the technology. That issue needs to be addressed badly. Back to carts? Not sure. But the DVD, Blu Ray are outdated as a gaming medium with the amount of data that needs to be juggled for modern gaming. I have gotten my fill of it during the PS3 and XBOX 1.

Not sure what they can do about system update, they are such a pain.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie ... I hear you.  Call of Duty Modern Warfare  almost takes 200GB.  Updates can be upwards of 30GB.  The only thing that can help is faster internet. However.... Better internal components with better transfer speeds would help a bit as well.

Loading has always been an issues with CD/DVD/Blu-ray based consoles.  I think overall loading has become better.  There is a lot of improvement necessary in the way of downloads and updates though. 

Grindspine

It would help if developers released FINISHED games instead of early release games with inadequate bug testing too.

retro junkie

Do you think that the next generation will be any better? I haven't looked into the situation to know what the new consoles offer. I have seen the pictures of the PS5 being flashed around. It is negligent on the part of the industry to not address the two achilles' heel of modern systems, load times and broken games that need updates. And the constant system updates to the consoles, I find it irritating. And I get it that it is mostly hacking issues and security. Too bad they can't close all the holes before they launch a console.
there is no spoon

Grindspine

As I was reviewing my internet usage over the last several months, I can pinpoint exactly when COD: Modern Warfare updated.  The only internet usage that I have peaking over double digit gigabytes per day were singly due to Modern Warfare's updates.

retro junkie

there is no spoon

targetrasp

lol, try downloading your steam account to a new computer!

Grindspine

Quote from: targetrasp on July 08, 2020, 10:32:40 PM
lol, try downloading your steam account to a new computer!

HAHAHAH.. no....

I would literally rather archive my steam folders to another terabyte drive and physically install that drive to a new computer... smart like!

BLUEVOODU

Dude... I Think my steam library is 6TB?   On my 1 computer... I had all my games installed.  I haven't turned that  PC on in over 1 year... it takes FOREVER to totally reinstall.  If I remember right, I have 2 4TB drives in Raid 0.

I really need to build a new computer.   Maybe next year

CreepinDeth

In my experience, installing from an archive is usually faster than redownloading everything. Even on my Core i7 4790 machine, which is now 6 years old. If you have an old hard drive, that might nullify the speed advantage.

Grindspine

Even an older 7200 drive is faster than the real world download speeds of that many games at once!

CreepinDeth

Quote from: Grindspine on August 17, 2020, 05:53:44 PM
Even an older 7200 drive is faster than the real world download speeds of that many games at once!

Yes, technically that is true but on Steam your archived games are compressed and the speed at which it uncompresses can be bottlenecked by your CPU. I should have clarified further in my reply.