Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

New Car................ the Volt

Started by retro junkie, July 21, 2020, 10:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

I don't know how I ended up with my car being 20 years old. I guess it is because that it has been such a good car over the years, until now. It turned into a money pit this year. Last Saturday the engine blew on my 1999 Malibu in the middle of the road. And I am thinking in my mind I have to pay a bill on a repair from two weeks ago, does not relate to todays breakdown. I only have one car and this is it.
For the last three months, maybe? I have been researching vehicles planning when I retire next year to purchase a new car with my Malibu as a backup second car. That has not happened. I had to use my research, pros & cons, now! Without going into details I ended up going with Carvana and picking a 2014 Chevy Volt.
My seven day trial period ends tomorrow. And I am going to keep this. The car is in mint condition, well taken care of. It is electric with a built in gasoline generator. Very fun to drive.  8)

there is no spoon

targetrasp

Nice ride. Should be easy on the pocket book gas wise!

retro junkie

@targetrasp I am using the money that I am saving on gas to help make payments. That was part of the plan. The battery has a range of 37miles. I am only using about 12miles daily for work and that is because of regenerative braking. I am using the battery around town. It being a small town everything is within 2 to 3 miles from home, stores, etc. Work is 6.4miles one way. If we decide to take a trip, we would use the gas powered generator. I can get 250miles out of it. Right now this is working out great for us.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Nice!   They are expensive , but the savings are nice!

How are you enjoying the ride so far?

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU best ride that I have ever owned. It is taking some getting used to, concerning the technology. Haven't purchased gas in three weeks, and I find myself having the compulsion to go get some just out of habit and routine. I find it fun to drive. The is a mode which uses the weight of the vehicle along with the car using the braking to generate electricity back into the battery as a charge. This translates into driving to work, 6.4 miles, and only use 3 miles off the battery. It is based off the way you drive also. Being a gamer, it is like a strategy game to me.  :)) So I am enjoying this.
there is no spoon

Grindspine

With my drive to downtown Indianapolis being over 15 miles (to and from), I think that 37 mile range would make me nervous...

My 2001 Grand Am SE is still going, but I do not know for how much longer it can...

retro junkie

@Grindspine after the 37miles runs out the car automatically switches on the gas powered generator, smoothly, you hardly notice. And if you have that 9 gallon tank full, 37 miles per gallon. No fear of that 37 miles on the battery.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie - yeah... thats nice. I've been remote working since March. I think I've filled up the tank in my car.... Probably 3 times now.   Thats a very nice thing.

I think covid will be changing how many report to work and office spaces are utilized (or lack there of) in the future.  It is with our company now.

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU our company has not really slowed down but maybe a couple of weeks. We are full blast. I have worked through this whole thing. I have been out there, working, in lines at the grocery, at Lowes, and wherever else I needed to go. Even though I do take precautions, I have dismissed the fact that the pandemic is as wide spread and infectious as it is being portrayed. I know it can be serious for some people, like me, but still.... I have a hard time relating to anyone that says anything about having to stay at home. There was talk at first about working from home but that was quickly dismissed. The attitude at my place is if you live, you live, if you die, you die, we have customers to attend to and orders to fill.
there is no spoon