Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Author Topic: New Car................ the Volt  (Read 50 times)

Offline retro junkie

• Rocket League
  • all your base are belong to us
    • View Profile
New Car................ the Volt
« on: July 21, 2020, 10:13:11 PM »
I don't know how I ended up with my car being 20 years old. I guess it is because that it has been such a good car over the years, until now. It turned into a money pit this year. Last Saturday the engine blew on my 1999 Malibu in the middle of the road. And I am thinking in my mind I have to pay a bill on a repair from two weeks ago, does not relate to todays breakdown. I only have one car and this is it.
For the last three months, maybe? I have been researching vehicles planning when I retire next year to purchase a new car with my Malibu as a backup second car. That has not happened. I had to use my research, pros & cons, now! Without going into details I ended up going with Carvana and picking a 2014 Chevy Volt.
My seven day trial period ends tomorrow. And I am going to keep this. The car is in mint condition, well taken care of. It is electric with a built in gasoline generator. Very fun to drive.  8)

there is no spoon

Offline targetrasp

• Ninja Master
    • bcalrogers
    • View Profile
Re: New Car................ the Volt
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 07:54:19 PM »
Nice ride. Should be easy on the pocket book gas wise!

Offline retro junkie

• Rocket League
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »
@targetrasp I am using the money that I am saving on gas to help make payments. That was part of the plan. The battery has a range of 37miles. I am only using about 12miles daily for work and that is because of regenerative braking. I am using the battery around town. It being a small town everything is within 2 to 3 miles from home, stores, etc. Work is 6.4miles one way. If we decide to take a trip, we would use the gas powered generator. I can get 250miles out of it. Right now this is working out great for us.
there is no spoon

Offline BLUEVOODU

• Administrator
  • EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!
    • bluevoodu
    • R2EN546
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 06:29:28 PM »
Nice!   They are expensive , but the savings are nice!

How are you enjoying the ride so far?

Offline retro junkie

• Rocket League
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 09:08:37 PM »
@BLUEVOODU best ride that I have ever owned. It is taking some getting used to, concerning the technology. Haven't purchased gas in three weeks, and I find myself having the compulsion to go get some just out of habit and routine. I find it fun to drive. The is a mode which uses the weight of the vehicle along with the car using the braking to generate electricity back into the battery as a charge. This translates into driving to work, 6.4 miles, and only use 3 miles off the battery. It is based off the way you drive also. Being a gamer, it is like a strategy game to me.  :)) So I am enjoying this.
there is no spoon

Offline Grindspine

• Metal Slug Mummy
    • Grindspine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 09:17:28 PM »
With my drive to downtown Indianapolis being over 15 miles (to and from), I think that 37 mile range would make me nervous...

My 2001 Grand Am SE is still going, but I do not know for how much longer it can...

Offline retro junkie

• Rocket League
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 10:53:59 PM »
@Grindspine after the 37miles runs out the car automatically switches on the gas powered generator, smoothly, you hardly notice. And if you have that 9 gallon tank full, 37 miles per gallon. No fear of that 37 miles on the battery.
there is no spoon

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more