Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Sell me on this system.

Started by Kinikko, February 25, 2018, 06:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinikko

For any of you who only got the Xbox One and haven't got a PS4 or anything...  Why?  I mean, I have one, and have the beautiful Halo 5 console, but I can count the number of times I've actually turned it on and played it on my two hands and I've had it for years.  What exclusives drew you to choosing Xbone over PS4? 

I really loved the 360.  It was the shit.  I was constantly on this thing.  Both PS3s that I had broke on me, so I didn't play that at all last gen.  Now it's the opposite (sans the breaking systems lol). 
moo.

retro junkie

I got the XBOX one for only one game, Cup Head. After having it since Christmas I have been puzzled about the game library. For the length of time it has been on the market, I am not impressed. I loved the 360 also, mainly due to the number of bullet hell shooters available for it. But it did have a lot of other good games, and a better library.

I, being a dedicated retro gamer, had no interest in the present generation until I saw Cup Head. So it is not like I was ever considering the XBone or the PS4. I would rather be on my old consoles, Genesis, SNES, NES, N64, or my newest Super Retro-cade.  :)
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

I really cannot sell you on the system.  I ended up not buying into it either.

BUT... Cup Head looks interesting.  IF I am correct... I saw that on Steam as well.

targetrasp

yeah I bought it on steam, haven't installed it yet though

retro junkie

Cup Head is a new twist on an old genre. It seems fresh. To me at least.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: retro junkie on February 27, 2018, 09:42:34 PM
Cup Head is a new twist on an old genre. It seems fresh. To me at least.
We saw it on steam a couple months ago... It was by far one of the most unique and interesting games I've seen in a long time.

We should create a topic for this game at some point.  Hopefully on the next steam sale or something I can pick it up.  It really looked and felt like the style of an old Mickey Mouse Cartoon.  Obviously that's what they were going for... and it looks like they pulled it off well and made an awesome / creative fun game.

Kinikko

edit: omg i totally posted in the wrong topic LOL
moo.

BLUEVOODU

LOL!
Nothing else to say on this topic? :D

retro junkie

There is the recent promise to do more first party games. I hope it turns out to be a similar promise that Sony has made. But I think Sony has seen the effect that it has had on the success of their system. More single player story driven games. I can get into a good story driven game and I compare that to a good book.  i wish to see the same type of support that the 360 had, good library.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: retro junkie on March 04, 2018, 02:22:21 PM
There is the recent promise to do more first party games. I hope it turns out to be a similar promise that Sony has made. But I think Sony has seen the effect that it has had on the success of their system. More single player story driven games. I can get into a good story driven game and I compare that to a good book.  i wish to see the same type of support that the 360 had, good library.

That is true... it is very much like a good book.  The visuals happen on screen instead of your head.   If you don't see it play out in your mind while your reading... you're not doing it right  ;D

I thought the 360 was alright... very good for games like Gears of War and Halo...  but most other games I tended to buy on the PC.   I was super excited to see Gears of War was getting a Windows 10 release... but became sad when I found out I had to have an XBOX LIVE membership to play online... and for other features.

Gears of War,  Halo, and more... PAnzer needs to show up on the PS4 though.  I want that game there :D

targetrasp

I was about to argue how people didn't care for games like Panzer anymore and compare it to Kid Icarus Uprising but apparently critics liked uprising and it sold over a million copies. It's been 6 years and nothing else out of that IP either so maybe 3/4ths of that million was people like me wanting a more familiar Icarus experience.

BLUEVOODU

Yeah. It's time for another one.  Let's get on it whatever game company will do it!

Kinikko - are you sold yet? Lol

Mai Valentine

Are there any good jrpgs on the Xbox One? I haven't noticed any but I haven't really been paying attention honestly. I mean I already have an Xbox One but good jrpgs are always a point of interest.

retro junkie

I too would like to find some jrpgs for the xbox one.
there is no spoon

Kinikko

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but every list of jrpgs I've found are all multiplatrorm games. :/

Maybe that's just the problem now...  Nobody really makes exclusives anymore. I seem to remember wishing that companies would do away with exclusives, but I see now what that actually does to a console.
moo.

Mai Valentine

There's still exclusives, but most of the good ones have been on the PS4 rather than the Xbox One. The X1 I think really got hurt by the initial poor sales caused by the Kinect controversy when it first came out.

targetrasp

XBONE made people mad because they were originally going to require daily online authentication and the they were pushing DRM not to mention what MAI mentioned!

Gamers revolted and Xbox changed their mind before release but not before disenfranchising the masses.

I've finally sold myself on the system because the PS4 won't play 4k blurays and sea of theives is an xbox one exclusive thats releasing soon.

Mai Valentine

My roommate recently just ordered Rock Band 4 along with the guitars for XBox One. I think since we already have XBL that some of the songs from Rock Band 3 should carry over. They're looking forward to that more than I am but I haven't looked at the song list yet.

retro junkie

I think you would need to run across a game that excites you to play. I am starting to accumulate games that I look forward to on the system. But only because I don't have anything else of this Generation, no PS4.
My favorites,
Cup Head (the reason I have the console)
Rare Replay (Xbone exclusive)
Recore (Xbone exclusive)
Dragonball Xenoverse XV
Arslan Warriors

Only two of those are Xbone exclusive. And they are not really system sellers. Right now the console is mainly a "me-too" when it comes to gaming. If you don't have the PS4, like me, there are third party games that you can pick up.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: Mai Valentine on March 12, 2018, 12:51:48 AM
My roommate recently just ordered Rock Band 4 along with the guitars for XBox One. I think since we already have XBL that some of the songs from Rock Band 3 should carry over. They're looking forward to that more than I am but I haven't looked at the song list yet.
Rockband is still a thing?  That and Guitar Hero was the rage for the longest time.

AH!  I completely forgot about Rare Replay... wanted to give it a shot. I heard that was decent... but there were some complaints on it.

targetrasp

The rare replay is fun in small bits for a jaunt down nostalgia lane but it has very little staying power.

Take my critiques with a grain of salt as my video game A.D.D. is in full bloom

Kinikko

So my cousin took his ps4 out of the living room and put it in his bedroom so that freed up a spot in the main room and I put my xbone there. Maybe it'll get some use out of it now.
moo.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: targetrasp on March 19, 2018, 11:41:48 PM
The rare replay is fun in small bits for a jaunt down nostalgia lane but it has very little staying power.

Take my critiques with a grain of salt as my video game A.D.D. is in full bloom

I've heard the same thing from several people now - so my guess is that you are SPOT on lol... regardless of gaming ADD.

Quote from: Kinikko on March 31, 2018, 09:25:53 PM
So my cousin took his ps4 out of the living room and put it in his bedroom so that freed up a spot in the main room and I put my xbone there. Maybe it'll get some use out of it now.

@Kinikko  What are you going to break out 1st? :)  you should post up on your XBOX ONE exploration.

Kinikko

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on April 05, 2018, 02:36:51 PM
Quote from: Kinikko on March 31, 2018, 09:25:53 PM
@Kinikko  What are you going to break out 1st? :)  you should post up on your XBOX ONE exploration.

Ooo maybe I could make a topic of that. 
moo.

Grindspine

Halo: Master Chief Collection (Halo 2 HD)
Halo 5: Guardians

Does Xbox one have any other killer apps or exclusive titles?  If so, I have not heard of them.

targetrasp

Sea of Thieves is an exclusive that came out towards the end of march. It's a pretty cool take on an mmo with a pirate setting.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: targetrasp on April 21, 2018, 11:08:38 AM
Sea of Thieves is an exclusive that came out towards the end of march. It's a pretty cool take on an mmo with a pirate setting.
@targetrasp Isn't that on PC as well?

targetrasp

yup, and you can play it cross-platform

i guess xbone wont have any exclusives since their "exclusives" will likely be shared with the pc.

if you ever decide to try it out let me know, i've only touched it once and decided it would be awesome with a friend or two, but absolutely frustrating trying to find a group to coexist with.

Jack

Let's see here... the few good exclusives that they have are Halo, Gears of War, and Forza. They also are the only next gen console offering some degree of backwards compatibility so that's a big plus for people who have big 360/Xbox Original collections.