Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Black Panther Movie

Started by CreepinDeth, February 27, 2018, 01:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CreepinDeth

Anyone watch this yet? Saw it opening weekend and thought it was a really solid movie with very few flaws. Not sure if it matches the hype but it gets close. Michael B. Jordan really drives this movie to greatness.

I seriously hope there's a sequel.

targetrasp

I'm really excited about seeing it. Instead of going to the theater I'll preorder a collector's edition, so it'll be a while before I get to watch it.

My fear was the movie would be over hyped because of it being a black super hero OR completely criticized because Black Panther was created by two white guys. It's pretty commonplace for comics and Sci Fi to tackle social issues - Captain America curb-stomping Nazis , Kirk and Ohura kissing, so I personally have difficulty finding the movie ground-breaking. Comics have been speaking out for the disenfranchised since well before I was born, and I've been a fan since I could read, this just doesn't seem new to me.

I do appreciate the fact that the movie is bringing more attention to the genre and hope that it serves as a vehicle to bring a wider audience to a genre that has championed tough subject matter and spoke out against oppressive norms for decades.

BLUEVOODU

Thank you for the heads up on this Movie... I haven't seen it yet, BUT I plan on going maybe 2 weekends from now.    I've been wondering how good the movie is / would be.  Was a little hesitant to go due to the Hype.

Going to see it now :D

CreepinDeth

Quote from: targetrasp on February 27, 2018, 07:38:52 AM
My fear was the movie would be over hyped because of it being a black super hero OR completely criticized because Black Panther was created by two white guys. It's pretty commonplace for comics and Sci Fi to tackle social issues - Captain America curb-stomping Nazis , Kirk and Ohura kissing, so I personally have difficulty finding the movie ground-breaking. Comics have been speaking out for the disenfranchised since well before I was born, and I've been a fan since I could read, this just doesn't seem new to me.

I do appreciate the fact that the movie is bringing more attention to the genre and hope that it serves as a vehicle to bring a wider audience to a genre that has championed tough subject matter and spoke out against oppressive norms for decades.

For sure, but the difference is that Hollywood hasn't caught up to the diversity in comics until now, hence the huge excitement. Even then, there's still a lot more left to explore. It's one thing to see these heroes on paper, but seeing them in live action brings a whole new dimension to them. You get to hear them speak and move. It becomes a little more realistic and that's why super heroes are great. They embody what we wish was real. Except for the evil stuff, lol.

Wonder Woman and Black Panther would not have been successful in an earlier time. They would have probably been made in a stereotypical fashion.

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on February 27, 2018, 10:59:21 AM
Thank you for the heads up on this Movie... I haven't seen it yet, BUT I plan on going maybe 2 weekends from now.    I've been wondering how good the movie is / would be.  Was a little hesitant to go due to the Hype.

Going to see it now :D

Nice!  :)

targetrasp

Yeah, I had a similar fear with the Wonder Woman movie. A few detractors griped about her not being a hairy Amazon but all in all the hype took nothing from the movie. The only DC movies I found any better were the Dark Knight movies.

I really can't wait to watch

mastermario

Haven't seen it yet but want to. Holding out till my MoviePass thing shows up in the mail so I can use it (if you haven't heard of it, it's that thing where you pay like $10/month and you get to see 1 movie a day for free).

CreepinDeth

I've looked into Moviepass and it sounds enticing but I hear so many horror stories with how they are constantly changing terms of service and their customer support being non-existent. Basically, when it works, it's cool but if you have issues then you might have a terrible time.

It doesn't help that it's still a "concept".

targetrasp

It can't be profitable. There's no way. I understand that they're banking on many not using the service enough to cover the cost of admission but the monthly cost is way low. It'd be like offering major medical for the cost of a single flu shot.

mastermario

Well, a couple of things. I have a few friends who use it religiously and have said it works great for them so that's the main reason I got it to begin with. Some things I've heard and some things I know:

• I've heard that the main reason they do this is to gather movie-watching data to eventually sell to marketing firms. Who knows.
  • When I was reading the stipulations, it sounds like we are almost put on some sort of list for the movie we choose to see. Then, we have to check in 30 minutes before the movie. There was something written that if the movie is full, we may not get in. I don't know if any of you are familiar with aviation rules, but it almost sounds like a "standby" list where you only get in when it doesn't sell out. So you are basically taking seats that would have (theoretically) been empty anyway. Part of why they probably get away with being so cheap.
  • You can't see any 3D or IMAX-type movies (makes sense).
  • We've had some questions about activation and I can confirm that their customer service is not great.
  • You can see one movie a day (as long as it's not one of those 3D or IMAX ones).

I'm not sure how much the theaters are involved with this, but if they are working with MoviePass to provide a discount, I imagine it's not a huge loss if they are giving away seats that are otherwise unsold while making ridiculous money off concessions.

Sorry to derail the Black Panther topic. It's still on my list to see but probably going to be a couple more weeks with how my schedule has been. :(

BLUEVOODU

If there is time... I hope to see it this weekend. Been hampered with busy weekends...

Did anyone else make it to the movie?

Mai Valentine

I just saw it today and it was awesome. I really want to see it again tbh.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: Mai Valentine on March 12, 2018, 09:46:56 PM
I just saw it today and it was awesome. I really want to see it again tbh.
lucky!  I ended up being too busy over the weekend.........

I'm hoping for this weekend.

BLUEVOODU

FINALLY got to see this movie.   It was pretty good... good music... there were a few parts (mainly at the beginning) that were not as strong.   They could've solidified the beginning better.

However, overall... this was a very good movie!  Only took me a month to see it lol.

targetrasp

This one (as well as Ant-man and the Wasp) is available on Netflix for anyone who has yet to see it.

It's a great movie and being on Netflix means I don't have to take the shrink-wrap off my Steelbook to rewatch it.

BLUEVOODU

lol... almost a year later.    YEah!  This was a pretty good movie.   That's cool you bought the steel book.    I wanted the Steel Book for Infinity War, but they were asking for WAAYYYY too much money for it.

mastermario

If I were a mod I'd probably ban you for all the spam movie topics.

BLUEVOODU

@mastermario you were a mod... but then I had to de-mod you for inactivity lol.

I kid I kid.  No mods assigned yet.

CreepinDeth

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on April 07, 2019, 08:02:09 PM
but then I had to de-mod you for inactivity lol.

That should qualify for a ban now!  >:D

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: CreepinDeth on April 08, 2019, 02:21:16 AM

That should qualify for a ban now!  >:D
[/quote]
LOL... true story @CreepinDeth  ;D

What do you have to say for yourself @mastermario ??

mastermario

Wouldn't be the first time I've been de-modded. :p

CreepinDeth

Quote from: mastermario on April 15, 2019, 10:55:44 PM
Wouldn't be the first time I've been de-modded. :p

We're talking ban hammer, yo.

BLUEVOODU

Double down ban hammah!   Like Giant Hammer Bro Hammer.

LOL... like that one time you were cleaning the forums in the EZBOARD days LOL. @mastermario  ;D

mastermario

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: mastermario on August 28, 2020, 11:42:10 PM
RIP :(
Yeah... @mastermario ...  that sucks.   I was shocked to find that out yesterday. He was an awesome actor for Black Panther. 

retro junkie

Even though I thought the movie was over hyped. I did enjoy has portrayal of the character. And it was very sad of his passing.
there is no spoon

Mai Valentine

I hope they'll go with what people are asking for and make his sister Shuri into the new Black Panther.

BLUEVOODU

That's a pretty good idea... that would make sense... and would technically follow the old comics.   While I am not expert in this subject... AND I'm sure this subject is up for a ton of debate, this seems like a pretty good idea.