Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

What Resolution are you Gaming on PC now?

Started by BLUEVOODU, February 28, 2018, 02:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

Are you gaming at 1080P?  4K?  or what resolution do you game at?

Post it up

targetrasp

1080p on most stuff. I don't have a good enough tv / monitor yet. I have such a collection of 3d blurays I cant force myself to buy a new tv, and the one tv I've seen that'll do both 4k and 3d is $10,000. 3d has been abandoned by the tv makers but still comes out in the theater and on bluray.

CreepinDeth

1280x1024

That's right, I've gone old school, lol. Actually, the reality is my GTX 970 struggles with games like Rise of the Tomb Raider and other graphic intensive games. This allows me to keep playing games at ultra settings/60FPS. I don't mind it at the moment.

BLUEVOODU

I still have a 27".  My other 27" died... so I Am no longer running 2 x 27" monitors at 1920x1200.

This is a 10 year old monitor and it's going well. I'm looking to MAYBE size down on the next monitor.  I Find the 27" real-estate to be a little too large for gaming - at times.  Especially games like CSGO or PUBG.  IE I have good peripheral vision... but I will miss minor movements and some things on the sides.  I don't know if I'm tunnel visioned or what when playing those games.   They are great for working though!

1280x1024 is pretty old school lol.   I thought the 970 handled a lot more than that.  I'm probably wrong.  I get the using what you got thing though.  I've been doing that...  because I've built so many computers in a short time frame... I thought it was time to get more life out of everything.

Kinikko

My main monitor is 1920 x 1080, but my second monitor is some weird tv and the only res that looks even remotely okay is 1680 x 1050 LOL I have no idea how to fix it. XD
moo.

CreepinDeth

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on February 28, 2018, 11:15:06 PM
1280x1024 is pretty old school lol.   I thought the 970 handled a lot more than that.  I'm probably wrong.  I get the using what you got thing though.  I've been doing that...  because I've built so many computers in a short time frame... I thought it was time to get more life out of everything.

970 can't keep up with high res textures since it only has 4GB of memory and even then, it's split up as 3.5GB and .5GB. If memory usage goes beyond 3.5GB then it has to access the rest, which is slower than the bigger memory pool. I don't know why Nvidia thought that was a good idea but it hurt them for sure once people found out.

Polygon

Right now, my main PC is a 3440x1440 and I have no desire to move up to 4k. I'll be using an ultrawide into the distant future. Both my backup PC and game room PC are on 1080p.

Quote from: CreepinDeth on March 01, 2018, 09:25:37 PM
970 can't keep up with high res textures since it only has 4GB of memory and even then, it's split up as 3.5GB and .5GB. If memory usage goes beyond 3.5GB then it has to access the rest, which is slower than the bigger memory pool. I don't know why Nvidia thought that was a good idea but it hurt them for sure once people found out.

I wish I could have seen that conversation when someone assured the higher ups that there was no way anyone would figure it out. Then again, you have to consider that nVidia is pretty pretentious as a company. They figure they can do no wrong. the partner program was a prime example of that.

trkorecky

I'm sure the 970 came about as something they could do if absolutely necessary, since the tech allowed it, and higher-ups decided that 4 > 3.5. Either way I'm sure you could turn some settings down from Ultra to High and it'd look just about the same and run tons better. Shadows especially, if you're already using soft shadowing, can benefit from lower resolution.

At home I'm mainly on a 144 Hz 1440p monitor with a 60 Hz 4K that I enable when I'm coding. At work I have a variety of 1080p and 4K monitors, but we're trying to bring some more HDR in so we have a better test bed.

As a graphics programmer I think my ideal for gaming would be some 144 Hz ultrawide 3840x1600 legitimate (Dolby preferred, legit HDR10 with the brightness to back it up) HDR monstrosity with GSync. Probably 34" at that point for appropriate pixel density. For work I think I'd still prefer 2-3 4K, ideally above 60 Hz since they give me a headache and ideally HDR since we always have late bugs that come in involving HDR.