Gameboy Color New Screen Upgrade!!!!

Started by retro junkie, Today at 03:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

retro junkie

When I first got my hands on a Gameboy Color back in its "glory days" I was somewhat irritated. I am sure it was a cost saving manufacturing decision in order to make it below a certain price point for the consumer. That screen was met with a "Oh Boy Color!" With a wait a minute it is darker than my Gameboy Pocket. Then you go through the shuffling moving around tilting, getting it just at the right angle under a lamp or out in the sunlight. And when you found that sweet spot to play you were happy. I never purchased a lot of Gameboy Color games and this was the reason. It was more troublesome than the Gameboy Pocket.
You cannot view this attachment.
Now is a new day and multiple years later since that initial release of this handheld console. And since then I have grabbed up a couple of more Gameboy Color consoles over the years simply because I was walking through an indoor flea market and there they were laying on the table for only a few dollars.

I found a kit that was a "drop-in" screen upgrade for the Gameboy Color. Yes I am aware that there are a couple of manufactures creating and marketing a Gameboy alternative for retro gamers using modern FPGA-based hardware technology in the $200 plus range. Hmmm.....and this upgrade that I am using is around $60 using the original hardware? Hmmm... let me do the math and think. TIMES UP!!!  I will go for the screen upgrade!
You cannot view this attachment.
Found me a place in the house. Got out my TV tray and some of my tools. I used some double stick tape to keep my screws from rolling off the tray. It was a simple one, two, three operation taking some precautions and care not to break anything when dealing with those ribbon cables.
You cannot view this attachment.
I was through in a matter of minutes. Pull one out drop another one in. Put everything back together.
You cannot view this attachment.
The result was amazing. I feel like I have a brand new game console. I am pulling out the Gameboy games that are color with backward compatibility, plus the small library of GB Color games. I am now in the market to purchase more games. I have a Gameboy multi cart that I have been keeping in the console since I performed the operation yesterday. Somewhere down the road I will need to reshell this game console. Big thumbs up for this one upgrade and highly recommended.
You cannot view this attachment.
there is no spoon