Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

DF Retro's Failed Consoles: Sega 32X - We Play Every Game [Part One]

Started by BLUEVOODU, March 14, 2018, 03:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

Creepn got me into DF Retro a bit... thought this was pretty cool.

I never was a huge 32X fan... but Star Wars about got me to buy it back when it was released.  Best Buy (at that time) had a completely different configuration and store layout.  Star Wars was on Demo there.  This is when they had about 9-10 isles of CD's.  LOL... talk about a blast from the past.

Comments? Post them up.

retro junkie

I purchased the 32X out of the bargain bin as it was exiting store shelves. I may be one of the few that enjoyed "what was" of the system, which wasn't much. I really don't think it was actually given a chance.
The games I favored on the system,
Virtua Racing
Star Wars Arcade
Space Harrier
Virtua Fighter
After Burner
BC Racers
Kolibri
Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000

The technology would have been better served if it had been a Genesis 32X with the 32X built in. I think you would have either seen better 3rd party support, or it might have been just too late. We will never know. I think the system was too junkie. It made the Genesis a big eye sore. Too many add-ons.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Motherbase... that was the Viewpoint - style game.  I liked Viewpoint on the Neo Geo... didn't have a change to play Motherbase.  Had one go through the shop, but at the time.... didn't have THE TIME to play it longer than testing the cart.

I liked Star Wars - it almost sold me back in the day... but like the Virtual Boy, the 32X wasn't given a chance.  It just didn't the market presence and staying power.  The other thing was SEGA.  SEGA as a company just didn't cut it.     They came up with LOADS of ground breaking stuff and helped shape the gaming industry... but they just couldn't seem to get their formula down.

With that said... Formulas help keep many businesses in business.  But you just don't see the creativity today and trying to break the mold.  This goes into music, cars, electronics, games... everyone doesn't want to push the envelope to something new and risk failure.

CreepinDeth

That's one of my favorite episodes and I still have the 32X/SegaCD combo you sold me, BV!  :)

I don't think the 32X would've stood a chance even if Sega focused on it. PlayStation was just around the corner and was going to crush it anyways in terms of 3D power. Had it come out a year or two earlier, maybe.

BLUEVOODU

LOL!  That's awesome you still have that.  I remember getting that in... I almost kept it for myself.   For some reason, the Sega CD (in good condition) was hard to find.

That's what I mean by Sega was always a bit behind the curve.  Don't get me wrong.. there are a ton of Genesis games I dug... but they should've thought of something else other than an EXPENSIVE attachment.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more