Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Gamestop's Black Friday Ad is out, here's a lot of what sticks out

Started by targetrasp, November 19, 2018, 07:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

targetrasp

I know people are pretty down on Gamestop. They take advantage on trades, they treat their employees pretty crappy, they make it difficult for the smaller boutique stores, etc. I will give them credit for trying to stay relevant in the retail space. Their online presence has been getting progressively better, they've tinkered with expanding their inventory to gaming related items (and in some cases still trying to see what fits), and they've included a retro offering online. A few years ago i gave them a second chance and have been mostly glad I did.

They are being competitive when sales at the moment. At times Best Buy eats their lunch, but at least for thanksgiving and black Friday there's some reasons to check GameStop out.

199 1tb ps4 / Spiderman or 199 Xbox one s 1tb w/ Minecraft
$50 gift card with the purchase of any new console (outside of the above mentioned)
299 switch w/ Mario kart preinstalled
$38 bops 4 @SpartanEvolved (really just riding BVs joke till it's dead)
$17 god of war
25 farcry 5 (bestbuy is cheaper right now)
20 diablo 3 (only xbox one and ps4)
10 horizon zero dawn complete (if anyone in the world doesn't already have it do yourself a favor and snatch it up)
several headsets 1/2 off
crash trilogy 29.99
29.99 sea of thieves (should be awesome with a group of friends)
99.99 preowned 32gb wiiu (although i feel whoever wants one has one - cheaper than replacing controller though)
free with rebate 4gb slim 360 pre-owned (69.99 visa prepaid card)

the store credit on systems and 199 bundles seem to be all over, and there's a game or two bestbuy is doing better on, but there are some deals to be had. The biggest test will be if the online portion works for the black friday sale. I remember a year or two ago i had a heckuva time getting best buy and gamestop and toys r us to work right. Most have some issues, with my highest rate of success still being amazon.

Jack

I work for GameStop and can confirm that there's a LOT that they need to work on when it comes to how they treat their employees. At the store level it's fine, no complaints there. My SL is awesome and I love my team, but the problems come from higher up on the latter. The pay is pretty atrocious and the reason most people stick with it is a love for video games and a passion for selling. SUPPOSEDLY GameStop is in the middle of a buy out from another company so some structural changes are bound to happen, hopefully for the better. They are giving us bonuses on our checks after the holidays so that's something to help compensate the lacking pay (there was actually a survey done and over 80% of the employees complained about low wages). Even if the buyout doesn't happen, the higher ups have said that they are going to try their best to help restructure a lot of the quality of life areas for the employees but I'm not really holding my breath, ya know?

Anyway, now that my tangent is over... yes, the deals are pretty damn awesome especially for anybody who is in the market for a PS4 or Xbox One. This work week has been busy as hell with people taking advantage of the sales, especially since the black friday sales started yesterday and last all week. Although I did not see that Black Ops 4 was on sale.

BLUEVOODU

Yeah... @Jack I ran into issues with their support last night as well... feel free to check out the Axiom Verge topic.  Sad face...

I get what you mean... Local stores seem really cool, but upper management comes down very hard.   One of the local employees helped me out big time... but they were like "I cannot hold this game beyond 5pm though or I will get in big trouble."  They did a big favor for me at launch.  I would've paid them over the phone but they couldn't do that either.  SOOOOO.... they saved it for me until after I got off work.  I get why there are rules and what-not... but it's not cool working in an environment like that.

@SpartanEvolved Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 - $38.00.. do it.  @Jack (if he finally adds me to PS4, I was on BLOPS 4 all Saturday  ;D ), @targetrasp , and need to get in a few games.

BLUEVOODU

Did anyone take part in any of the GameStop Ads?

I was trying to get @SpartanEvolved on Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 .... no go so far.

Speaking of that... I need to get you ( @targetrasp ) and @Jack to play Blackout or Team Death Match. It's about time for that.

targetrasp

I grabbed their buy 2 get one free on last gen stuff, and God of War.

BLUEVOODU

I really wanted Horizon Zero Dawn for the PlayStation 4...but I cannot seem to get it locally right now.  I'm going to call them tomorrow.    It's still $10 and I want it.

I remember you and @Mai Valentine writing about it in the Linked post above.  For $10... and for the Complete Edition... I'll do it.

targetrasp

I was such a great game. I'm ashamed I didn't finish it (and I may still go back to it). There's a mixture of stealth and finesse that most games fail at (in my humble opinion) that this one really gets right. I'm horrible at both, and prefer to jump into the thick of things but the lack of skill that play style demonstrates is punished harshly by this game. I rage quit often (because I do like to just jump into a fight) but I still had a ton of fun with this game. I can't imagine anyone not getting $10 worth of fun out of it.