Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Gamecube pulled out and playing!

Started by retro junkie, January 18, 2019, 06:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

A co-worker just purchased his first gamecube, came with a lot of games. Experiencing someone else's excitement and enthusiasm  has motivated me to pull out my cube and games. I have even purchased a couple games and am looking for more. I just realized that I only have around forty games for the system. That is not acceptable. I usually have a few games out for play on the Wii but with that console dead, got to get out the real thing. Love the "wavebird."

Viewtiful Joe is getting a revival.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Viewtiful Joe!   Wow... that's a game I haven't played in a long time.  I have fond memories there... it's probably been at least 10 years since I've played it.  I Really want to break out my Gamecube.  I don't understand the backlash the Gamecube received... it had such good games.  It's pretty funny... when the Wii was launched with backwards compatibility... you couldn't find Gamecube games.  They were all in demand AND gone and everyone was saying "How did I miss this game?"

Viewtiful joe... if I am correct, @Strubes was a big fan of this game.

targetrasp

I didn't fully comprehend the hype this game was getting.

It was a fun game but it tarnished quickly and while I haven't tried it out lately, I can't imagine it aging well either.

BLUEVOODU

well... to be fair, I haven't played it in forever... so I'm not sure how well it aged.   I really need to break out my Gamecube though.  That's one game I'd like to explore again.

retro junkie

I find the game still awesome to play. It is so well put together. In my book it has aged well. An Amazing beat'em up.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie have you tried Eternal Darkness?

hm... we need an Eternal Darkness topic... in fact, I need to revisit the game.   This game used to be pretty awesome.  I Wonder how it has held up over time.

targetrasp

was that the game that messed with the player mind? I remember hearing one that'd tell you the controller was unplugged or acted like the cube turned off, or something?

BLUEVOODU

YES!    You would get Blood streaks and different Crazy effects while you were playing / Hurt.   At times... the game would simulate rebooting lol... it was a trip.    The game was pretty cool.    I wonder how well it has aged.   I cannot tell you the last time I picked it up.

targetrasp

I was late to the party where the cube was concerned. I had a few games, messed with the ds as a controller stuff, but only really played Mario kart and Mario party with it. I've heard about all the cool games much later and haven't done any catch-up. I was the only Nintendo generation that I practically skipped over.

BLUEVOODU

You and a lot of other people.  It was funny to see how many people started playing LOTS of Gamecube games when the Wii U came out.  I dare to say the Gamecube was more popular after the system was done... and then players started to notice ALL these games they missed.

There were MANY good games.  I bought into the Gamecube pretty heavy.

retro junkie

Recently I started watching someones youtube video which showed a clip of every gamecube game. After watching that I felt that I was asleep during that period of gaming. I saw so many games that I did not know existed that I now want to play.  :o
there is no spoon

targetrasp

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on March 20, 2019, 08:33:15 PM

There were MANY good games.  I bought into the Gamecube pretty heavy.

@BLUEVOODU I remember during the EGA days you had fanboyish tendencies! I'm also fairly certain I picked up the phrase "wavebird frisbees" from you

@retro junkie I really think the GCN being released over a year later AND not supporting DVD was why I completely slept through it. It also happen to hit when I was in college, it was difficult enough to afford one game system and beer. After I got out I picked one up, but was way too late.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: retro junkie on March 20, 2019, 11:07:44 PM
Recently I started watching someones youtube video which showed a clip of every gamecube game. After watching that I felt that I was asleep during that period of gaming. I saw so many games that I did not know existed that I now want to play.  :o
EXACTLY... that's what I mean.  The system had  A LOT!  Many didn't catch on until the Wii and after (especially with the backward compatibility).

@targetrasp soooo... fanboy eh? lol.... hm... I definitely didn't like PlayStation until they came out with a great format for the PlayStation 3.    BUT... While I liked Nintendo and their games... many other systems paled.  And I was a Neo Geo AND PC gamer as well.  To be fair... I had almost all the consoles except XBOX at one point.

The Frisbee Wavebird comment had to be because of using a Wavebird to play Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2....  so much rage... yet so much fun.

AND - you weren't way too late.  YOu could've caught up  ;D

targetrasp

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on March 26, 2019, 09:15:41 PM
Quote from: retro junkie on March 20, 2019, 11:07:44 PM

AND - you weren't way too late.  YOu could've caught up  ;D

BLUEVOODU

Lol I think I'm missing something here

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie are you still rocking out the GameCube?

Ever play Ikaruga for the GameCube?

retro junkie

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on March 29, 2020, 07:25:01 PM
@retro junkie are you still rocking out the GameCube?

Ever play Ikaruga for the GameCube?

I personally grabbed it from the shelf when it was released. Very good game and I highly recommend it.  8)
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

yeah.. Ikaruga is one of my favorites.   Very challenging game.   Now I want to break this game out.  They ported it to the Switch.... I think I might pick it up there in the near future for some handheld Ikaruga AWESOMENESS.

If we don't have it...I Think we need an Ikaruga topic lol.