Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Turbo Grafx-16 Mini Pre-Order

Started by BLUEVOODU, July 14, 2019, 10:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

https://www.cnet.com/news/turbografx-16-mini-delayed-due-to-coronavirus/

Now I believe this virus is bad. My game console delayed until the end of the year!!
there is no spoon

targetrasp

No NBA, NCAAA, Golf, concerts, movies, ... now tg16.. Screw TP ima start (lol start) hoarding alcohol!

retro junkie

Local restaurants are closed except for drive through, or take out. Small "mom & pop" shops are ordered close down, beauty shops, etc. Anything that is non essential. Even factories are starting to close. Grocery stores are restocking and there is no shortages, it is just that people are purchasing everything cleaning off the shelves. People are freaking out, scared.

If I end up at home, I will take care of some undone chores around here.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

I'm a little excited about the possibility of having to shut off for a few weeks... Don't get me wrong I hope it doesn't happen but if it does I would use the time to seriously decompress.

The adult in me hates that I'll have to lay everyone off at work before the owner lays me off, my stock portfolio is a train wreck, my 401k a fraction of what it was in January, and the money under my mattress is making more in interest than the money in my money market... (j/k I don't have money under my mattress) but the kid in me realizes that there's enough boos in the liquor cabinet to get the entire neighborhood drunk, enough beer in the pantry to do it again the next day, and more video games than I'll ever get to play in my lifetime. It would be the ultimate staycation until the food and TP runs out... then it'd be Lord of the Flies.

retro junkie

We were told today that we are not shutting down. And if all of our customers shut down then we will catch up on back orders. That is so when everyone returns to work we will have things caught up. I work for a Japanese company. They will have to be made to close.

Today it was announced that we have our first case of the virus in our area with a potential of more. I am a high risk person and all of those who work under me except for one are high risk. I am 65 years old and have hypertension, among other things. People here locally, I don't think, are taking this situation seriously. Yes there is the panic, but I work around people where it has not sunk in. I don't think enough people get the idea that life will, and needs to, change.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie - thank you for posting the cnet article. That sucks!  But it's not surprising right now with everything going on.

I hope they make a couple additions for the wait  ;D that would be cool.

retro junkie

Since I did not get my coveted Turbo mini this month, decided to jump on a SNK Neo Geo mini. Got it this week.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

yeah... the way this year is shaping up.... December will be here in no time.   ;D     

I HOPE the add more games for the wait.. he he

targetrasp

what's left?

No need to answer, it's rhetorical and slightly sarcastic.

A hand picked TG 16 library of 40-50 would still have 20ish games I'd only spin up once or twice

retro junkie

If this does happen in December, this goes in my living room beside my NES.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: targetrasp on April 12, 2020, 12:15:18 AM
what's left?

No need to answer, it's rhetorical and slightly sarcastic.

A hand picked TG 16 library of 40-50 would still have 20ish games I'd only spin up once or twice

YEAH... but Duo games as well?  ;D

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU @targetrasp
Okay this is getting me in the mood for a rant!! I am seeing all these Turbo Grafx 16 minis up on ebay. Price gouging from Japan and US. Why are they releasing MY mini over seas but I have to wait?!

One example,

there is no spoon

targetrasp

from what I'm reading it released in japan but world wide release dates is still TBD....

I hope the evercade doesn't follow suit...

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie @targetrasp any update on the release date?  Still delayed?

targetrasp

oh yeah, amazon still shows December 31st

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU just got an email today and it looks like a "New" estimated delivery date:
Friday, May 29, 2020 - Wednesday, June 3, 2020

@targetrasp looks like we are getting our orders earlier than anticipated!!!
there is no spoon

targetrasp

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie  awesome!   Looks like we will need an impressions / review topic  ;D. I'm excited for this. I hope to be able to pick one up later this year

targetrasp

mine shows arriving tomorrow!! Hopefully that don't change

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp aww man. Let me know how it is lol.  I want one.

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU @targetrasp mine is showing June 3rd.  :(
lot of jealousy here  ;D
there is no spoon

targetrasp

The snes mini is still my favorite but the tg 16 is a solid tie with the genesis one.

I tried out a bunch of the games right off the bat. The emulation works great. I've played an hour of Soldier Blade, an hour of Alien Crush, and an hour of Millitary Madness. Millitary Madness didn't age as good as it could have. I think Advance Wars took it down about 12 notches. Still fun, still challenging, just aged. Soldier Blade is just as awesome as i rememeber, but alien crush! I hadn't played pinball in a long time and it scratched an itch. I wasn't expecting much for it but its been my favorite so far.

CreepinDeth

I got mine about 2 weeks ago. It's sitting pretty with all of the other minis. I did annoy me that Amazon didn't even bother to package it in a box. They just slapped the shipping label on the box itself and shipped it like that. Oh well, fortunately it was destroyed.

retro junkie

there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

targetrasp

I don't find any fault with the display, its not translating the Japanese games that tick my off.. Snatcher and most of the others are unplayable

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU Honestly this is well done. Love it. I am impressed with the visuals. Jaggies are noticeable but that is the nature of the beast.

I had no intention of saving my original TG16 box. Just so happens that it is a storage box for photos and negatives.
I don't know if it is just me but I had a difficult time plugging the power cord into the system. Fat fingers I guess. I know the whole nostalgic thing but that could have been designed a bit better than what we got.
First game I played was Lords of Thunder. I found no slow down, good experience. Nothing like many interviews that I have watched.
One of the warnings caught my eye. "Do not wrap the controller cable around your neck to avoid risk of suffocation."
there is no spoon

targetrasp

the addition of that back piece did make the power and hdmi cable attachment a little odd.

retro junkie

Quote from: targetrasp on June 08, 2020, 11:31:46 PM
the addition of that back piece did make the power and hdmi cable attachment a little odd.

I really didn't mind the back piece, easily removed, if you ever owned one. It was the little cramped area you had to negotiate in order just to plug in. That is unacceptable.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

I wish I would've picked one of these up... It looks like the value has jumped and it's harder to get them now.    I Couldn't pick one up around the time they came out and now it seems the boat has sailed.

Are you guys still enjoying the Turbo Grafx-16 Mini?