Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Evercade

Started by targetrasp, February 20, 2020, 10:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

targetrasp

Here's a switch wannabe about to release that's dedicated to the 8 to 16 bit era. The packaging is bland, battery life is meh, but it takes everything good about the switch and focuses it on the retro game collector. The carts (YES CRAP TO COLLECT) are by publisher and run 20 each while the console is at a 80 - 100 dollar price point depending on the number of pack in games. So far it looks like you can skip a date night and preorder the whole lot.

Evercade has sent a bunch of youtubers advance copies of the console and the game so it's pretty easy to find gameplay and reviews if anyone wants to look into this thing. There's not been a ton of buzz about the Evercade but i'm excited and I know there are several that lurk here that can appreciate what the Evercade is and what it can potentially do for our hobby. There's a lot of cool stuff there, and a lot of potential but it had me at Earthworm Jim

retro junkie

I have one on preorder.  :-[
A lot of good old stuff on that handheld.I preordered the one with three game pack in.
I am wanting the one cart with all homebrew.

I am especially curious if there will be more games than what has been announced.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

I think i'm going to push for a complete set and at 20 per cart it seems reasonable. What I've not decided yet is if I want to keep one of the consoles in the box unopened.

It would be awesome if this became a thing where we'd see games being released regularly and maybe a dedicated console or a dock that would allow for controllers and play on the big screen...

Still looking for the Atari lynx cartridge that I heard was going to be available too

retro junkie

I agree. It would be nice if this did become a dedicated console. I would love something like this full of retro gaming. And I did not know about the Atari Lynx cart. I'm hyped.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

"There are 17 games on this cartridge, which is due at some point in Q3, including the likes of Scrapyard Dog, Basketbrawl, Super Asteroids/Missile Command, Awesome Golf, Crystal Mines II: Buried Treasure, Dracula the Undead, and Malibu Bikini Volleyball."

where blue lightning, war birds, rygar, lemmings, rampart? At least its got Malibu Bikini Volleyball lol...

retro junkie

Rygar on the Lynx was my favorite version of the game. And love my blue lightening. They both better be on that cart.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

I can't remember which version of Rygar I liked better. I do remember rage quitting it at the final boss and never picking it back up again. I just watched a youtube video where someone beat the final boss (Ligar) in about ten seconds. Now I feel I must redeem myself and finally beat the game.

Maybe if it doesn't come out on the Lynx cart we'll get lucky and tecmo will have a cart of its own, although I fear there's not enough 8 / 16 bit gems under the tecmo name. Tehkan might help (bombjack plus 1 or two more) but a Tecmo cart would still seem football heavy.

retro junkie

I remember constantly playing that game on my Lynx back then. And I do remember beating it numerous times. You gave up to easily. I feel that the Lynx Rygar is easier than the tough NES version.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

All this Rygar talk has me wanting to play it now.

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp do you have any links?   Post up some links / reviews if you have a chance.

I hate to say... I don't think I want another device playing 8/16 bit games.  I have several now.

targetrasp

@BLUEVOODU I would agree but

1. There's a lot of underserved games
2. Cartridge based
3. I can't help myself

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU for me it is an addiction. Looking for that golden ticket. And besides I love chocolate. And I have a funny feeling about this thing that it is a shot in the dark. It may or may not happen. If it does, I have one. I hope our current situation doesn't effect the launch.  :(
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp hm....
Hmmm......  Man....  You and @retro junkie make good arguments lol.  I get the appeal... and the cart based games is a cool feature. 

What about links?

You know what I really want?  Nintendo 64 player on the switch.  Posting a topic on that soon.

@MegaDrive20XX what's your take?  Have you seen this?

And don't forget... you can help this site with hosting and future upgrades by using the ads if you buy it off Amazon... shameless plug.

targetrasp

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=evercade&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

For amazon

- Semi Decent youtuber talking about it - (april 9th isn't real anymore - amazon says may 22nd)

targetrasp

I've got the whole set preordered. You cant get the lynx collection or the xenocrisis / tanglewood dual cart yet but there's 10 others available for preorder. The website says may 20th but amazon say June 5th...

They're also on twitter asking if people would be interested in a collectors club... I hope that works out, I really liked what others have done in the past that they usually kill off (Nintendo power coming with a dragonquest, activision's pins, Nintendo's club rewards (they were pretty cool until they got cut out), I'm blanking out but there were others).

retro junkie

What!!? Delayed?? My preorder will be released on June 5th!!!! What is with these people?
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

They have a Lynx cart as well??  lol... what??

targetrasp

it doesn't look like its releasing with the system, in February it was mentioned as sometime q3.. I'm sure covid delays will make sure it's late too.

I am a little disappointed, there's only been 2 carts confirmed coming after the initial 8... I read somewhere it can do arcade games too... holy crap that'd completely open things up

targetrasp

Amazon updated the delivery date on my Evercade stuff to June 5 2020, hopefully it'll hold.

retro junkie

Okay, I presently have no hope.

there is no spoon

targetrasp

yuck none of it looks available to preorder right now, and my order now states amazon will email me when they have a delivery date. polymega maybe?

targetrasp

Just got mine in today and its about as I expected. Nothing about the console is amazing but nothing is terrible either. The cartridges fit so tight at first you'll think you're putting them in wrong. The games are a great mix of stuff that you've probably already owned / emulated but come at a great price point for physical editions. I didn't buy it to play (although I did open a few carts and play around for a while) and I feel like anyone who does will likely be underwhelmed. I bought it for its collectability. Its cool and retro looking, the games are priced well, and I'm sure there's not going to be a ton of these floating around. I already cant figure out how to get the Namco collections or the Lynx collection, and my goal is a complete collection. I may even rebuy the carts that I opened just so I have a sealed complete collection. I do want it to thrive and games to continue to be released for it, I just don't think anyone other than collectors will truly enjoy this.

retro junkie

I got mine earlier this week but just opened it today. I was kind of waiting for my July forth vacation time off. It started a little earlier than expected. Someone tested positive for COVID-19 at work, so I decided to add a few days. Just opened this today. I have collected some odd handhelds through the years, imports. Most have been a mixed bag.
@targetrasp I will have to agree with you on this one. This will only appeal to a niche market. Very limited in what it has to offer, nostalgic, retro gaming interests, and stuff for collectors. 

Out of the box I found myself playing Centipede in the Atari collection, Fighter's History on the Data East, and Earth Worm Jim on the Interplay cart.
Yeah and removing the cart from the console is a major ordeal. It brings back memories of the old 1950's Day the earth stood still movie, I know I saw a door here somewhere, but it is now seamless. They should have spent a little more time on fixing that.

I am impressed with the screen because I was not expecting much at all, console has a sturdy feel in the build.

I will also look forward to collecting all of the games. The system, as a whole, offers me one of those items that I would pull out and fiddle with occasionally. And that is just because it does contain games from a bygone era that I do not have in my collection. I never owned or played the Atari 2600, or any of the Atari systems except the Jag.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

@retro junkie

I bought every game i could and the first two i played for more than a few minutes was centipede and earth worm jim. I completely forgot how much of a pain in the ass earth worm jim gets a few stages deep. It's not quite battletoads but it gets me to that same level of frustration. I think that's a lot of the reason i enjoy it so much!

targetrasp

J/K on October... Gamestop says 4/15/21 ...

BLUEVOODU

So how are you both enjoying this now @retro junkie and @targetrasp ?  Are you still able to get games for it?  IE if I wanted to get into this?  or is everything out of stock now?

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU
I occasionally pick it up for one of those quick plays. That is basically how it has situated itself into my playtime. My days off mostly. I just ordered my first two games from Amazon. Things have kept me busy and distracted me from doing any adding to my collection until this weekend. It is still very much available on Amazon, still $99 for the premium pack which include three game carts, total 36 games.

Games I ordered today were the Mega cat cart and put in a pre-order for the Evercade Xeno Crisis/Tanglewood duel cart.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Nice!  If you have the chance... post up your thoughts when you get them.   I'm still on the fence for the Evercade... though it is cool... I might skip this one.  Still on the fence though  ;D

targetrasp

kinda wish i skipped it. I'm leaving all my other games shrinkwrapped.... completely lost interest in anything other that collecting

BLUEVOODU

so... many months later... are you still under the impression you wish you skipped it? @targetrasp

How about you, @retro junkie ?