Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Octopath Traveler

Started by Grindspine, January 16, 2021, 12:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grindspine

Since this is on both Switch and PC (Steam) now, I figured that I would drop the thread here.

I am still in the first quarter of the game, first chapter for the main characters, but am enjoying it massively!  The overall game is very reminiscent of Final Fantasy II & III on the SNES, but of course, it has a modern depth of graphics mixed in with the pixel art.  It is almost like a visual interpretation of the old graphics with a healthy dose of imagination on top of them.  The graphics and sound really are wonderful.

The initial characters so far have solid story lines, especially Primrose the dancer, Therion the thief, and Tressa the merchant.  This definitely feels like a love letter or homage to the great JRPG games of the '90s.

https://www.fandom.com/articles/octopath-traveler-review

Anyone else played through this yet?  I know Mai at least bought it a while back.

targetrasp

I've been itching to play it but the price of admission is still high. Anything reminiscent of FF3 should be an automatic purchase for me. I don't know what my hold up has been but there's less to it now.

targetrasp

walmart, target, and amazon have it for 49.9X - I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon. I'm excited to play it now

Grindspine

I am following Primrose as my primary character, although I have collected the other seven.  Her second chapter has a super frustrating boss fight.  I feel like a fair amount of level grinding can happen with this.  Each random encounter can take a while; strategies using character buffs are clearly more important by level 25 than in similar games.

I think that I will be getting many more hours out of this one!

Between the snow areas, the desert, and the beaches, anywhere in the game with sand or grainy ground is just graphically stunning!

targetrasp

are you playing it on pc or switch?

BLUEVOODU

Dangit @Grindspine I'm trying to not buy games again right now.  This looks really cool ... I see what you are saying about the graphically stunning textures.  Some of them have a Super Nintendo graphic "feel" to them as well.

@targetrasp you got pulled in eh?   I'm trying to hold off. I think I will add this to my collection though.

Good post, Grindspine.

Grindspine

I have the PC version.  Even though I have an older Core i5 processor and 16 GB DDR3 RAM, the game runs very well without getting my graphics card fans to ramp up (RTX2060.. overkill for any game my processor can actually handle).

At 1920x1080, I have no issues with frame rate drops.

Yeah @BLUEVOODU it definitely has a Final Fantasy II / III SNES feel while still having a modern flare to the graphics.  I have seen a few reviews compare the fight system to Bravely Default more than Final Fantasy turn-based RPG games.  It is not much of a learning curve after learning that your first few rounds each fight are meant for experimenting to find enemy weaknesses and building your boost points.  The next few rounds are unleashing your boost points after breaking enemy defense.  It is just a touch more complex than traditional turn-based mechanics.  I will say that $60 is steep, but, you know, it goes on sale here and there too.